Sunday, October 21, 2007

REBBE ABUSE VS. KORANIC TEACHING

The Coalition Against Madrassas has filed a law suit. Perhaps they should be as concerned about Yeshiva schools also.

October 19, 2007 New York, New York — Citizens for American Values in Public Education Inc. and the Stop the Madrassa announce the filing this week by the Stop the Madrassa Community Coalition [“STM”] of an Article 78 Proceeding in the Supreme Court of the State of New York against the New York City Department of Education [the “DOE”] The lawsuit follows an insufficient response to requests under the Freedom of Information Law for complete information concerning textbooks, lesson plans and design documents to be used at the Khalil Gibran International Academy [“KGIA”].
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday, October 20, 2007

An open letter from a former Yeshivah boy about his personal experiences with Rebbe abuse and brutality

NOTE:The opinions in this letter do not reflect those of the blog administration, nor does the blog administration vouch for the accuracy of any of the facts stated in this letter. This letter is the sole opinion and personal account of its author.

I had Rokeach in Chasan Sofer. He "taught" the 6th grade when I had him and was as brutal as one of the posters said he was. There was this kid in my class named, Yaakov D'Vorkas (spelling?), who threw a spitball in class. Rokeach's face turned a deep red. He went over to the kid, and threw him against some lockers we had in the room and began kicking him as hard as he could.

I remember the kid was curled up in a fetal position while he took this beating. As he was doing this, Rokeach kept saying in Yiddish, which I will paraphrase, "you are not allowed to throw spitballs in my class." He said this over and over. I am still haunted by this. I just dreamt about it the other day actually. (hell, I was lucky. my poor brothers went to the Viener Yeshiva and had Rabbi Gold in the 4th grade. This guy, who had a terrible speech defect, would slap the kids silly.

It later turned out he and his wife were running a heimeshe brothel on the side and I remember hearing something about drugs.)I wish I could say this was the only time I was exposed to violence, neglect, or sexual abuse, but it wasn't. There myriad times this happened. I went to Yeshiva Torah Temimah too. Kolko was there, Margo was there, etc. Margo is a fat, money grubbing blowhard.

Everyone in the yeshiva knew that and we all mocked him openly. I had a friend in high school who was wearing a yarmulke that apparently too small by Margo's standards so he snatched it off my friend's head and threw it to the ground. I thought that was a wonderful way to instill a deep love of the religion for one. I could go on and on about the sexual abuse that was covered up, the violence that was perpetrated against us, the neglect (especially in Camp Adas Yereim - Meir Birnhack was there - wow was he brutal.

There was a junior counselor there one year when I had Levi Kranz as a counselor who sprayed deodorant in my bunkmate's eyes because he had used some curse word and wouldn't
apologize. Camp Na'arim was only slightly better. I cant remember the owner's name but he was another fat moneygrubber who had a violent temper. You definitely made sure to steer clear of him. I went to Yeshiva Darchei Moshe in flatbush, off of ocean parkway and Ave M I think.

I had a rabbi there, mind you I was 18 at the time who had a real fondness for me and would constantly attempt to grope me. I left pretty soon after that.), and the sheer stupidity of the people running these yeshivas, camps, etc, but I wont. Suffice it to say, I am not frum. I wouldn’t eat kosher food if I was starving to death, I have a visceral reaction to anything relating to Orthodox Judaism and if I had kids I would never let them near a yeshiva of any sort - orthodox, reform, conservative, whatever. If you care about your sons and daughters, you won’t either.

Good luck.Z-dog
Leave Comment ---This article posted by Chaptzem : 7:48 PM