Monday, February 16, 2009

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand: I keep 2 guns under my bed

Kirsten Gillibrand, gun rights

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., (Left), shakes hands with Vice President Joe Biden, while her husband, Jonathan Gillibrand, stands in the center. (AP Photo / January 27, 2009)


WASHINGTON - - New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, who argues her pro-gun stance aims to protect hunters' rights and the Second Amendment, last week said she and her husband, Jonathan, keep two rifles under their bed to protect their upstate home.

Gillibrand said neither she nor her husband is a hunter, and in a general discussion of gun control said, "If I want to protect my family, if I want to have a weapon in the home, that should be my right."

The mother of two young children has taken "gun safety procedures to ensure family safety," an aide later said, but declined to say what steps.

Gillibrand's guns are rifles, her chief of staff Jess Fassler said in an e-mail, and she won one of them in a raffle at a county fair while campaigning. He said New York does not require anyone to register rifles.

No comments: